Until a few years ago we had never heard of puppy mills. Now that we have, we wish we were still ignorant of these inhumane places. Supposedly ignorance is bliss, but in this instance it is far from bliss for the moms and dads of the puppies produced in puppy mills.
The dogs are legally kept in cages with barely enough room to turn around. The bottoms of the cages often times are of wire causing a great deal of discomfort for the dogs. Federal regulations regarding vet care, sanitation and temperature control are woefully inadequate. There are some recent improvements in the federal laws, but as usual, effective change is incremental.
Surprisingly we have learned the most from a few Facebook pages written in the voices of rescued dogs. The most well-known are Harley, Teddy and Zoie. They were all rescued by the National Mill Dog Rescue from Colorado. Probably one of the most heart wrenching things to learn is that often times the cages are “cleaned” with the use of a high pressure hose. The dogs are not removed when this happens. Harley lost an eye during one of these “cleanings.” We have linked below to numerous articles that provide a great deal more information.
So what can I do about it, you might ask. Lots of things we respond.
- Never ever buy a dog from a pet store or on-line.
- If you choose not to adopt, be certain to choose a reputable local breeder who will allow you to see the condition the dogs live in and who will accept on return any dog that does not work out.
- Avoid the back yard breeder too.
- Forgive yourself if you have gotten a dog in any of these manners and now that you know better, spread the word.
- Consider going a step further or two or three. Read the USDA laws and let your stomach turn.
- Then contact your state and federal representatives and lobby for laws to outlaw puppy mills.
- Volunteer for a local rescue organization.
- Foster a dog.
- Adopt a dog.
- We are all part of the solution.
- Teddy and Harley to the Rescue: The Crusade Against Puppy Mills (petcarerx.com)
- Right and wrong ways to clamp down on puppy mills (utsandiego.com)
- Federal Crackdown Could Help Regulate Mo. Puppy Mills (stlouis.cbslocal.com)
- New puppy mill rules not firm enough, Quebec advocates say (cbc.ca)
- Austin residents join the fight against puppy mills (kvue.com)
- Praise the USDA for Strengthening Puppy Mill Regulations (forcechange.com)
- Organizations find homes for puppy mill victims (rochester.ynn.com)
- ‘Harley to the Rescue’ saves 81 dogs from puppy mills (krem.com)
- Dog-Tired of Puppy Mills (hsus.typepad.com)
- Bellmore rally Saturday to urge Cuomo to sign pet store bill (newsday.com)
- Rescue Groups, NMDR. Be The Change. (lovedogsandanimals.com)